Goodbye Honda Accord
On February 15, Blake came out to move our car that was parked on the street, only to find the car totally smashed in on the side. The mirror part of the sideview mirror was gone, the front lights crunched, and the driver's door wouldn't open all the way. And the best part about it--NO NOTE! Nothing. While Blake was out taking pictures some people who live in the building that our car was parked in front of said that a similar thing had happened to a car parked in that same spot a few months earlier. Apparently, the people across the street backed out of their driveway and crunched right into the parked car. And the people were going to just drive away, but a garbage man saw the whole thing and chased the car down. Blake went and asked those people who live across the street if they saw anything, but they didn't know a thing. So, what can you do?For the past few weeks we've been cruising around the Bay Area in our fancy rental cars while the insurance was deciding what they wanted to do. Today they decided to total the car and that it wasn't worth fixing. So, we went up to say our good-byes. It was hard seeing our beloved car all torn to pieces, but we know it's in Car Heaven now and that makes things a bit easier.
But really, this couldn't have come at a worse time. I always hoped we could gift this car to Max on his 16th birthday, but I never thought it wouldn't make it to the end of our San Francisco days. About two years ago, Max lovingly named our car "Rocket" after the rocket on Little Einsteins and we would "Pat! Pat! Pat!" to get its engine running. And the name just stuck. Now sometimes the only way I can get the kids to the car is by saying, "Who can find where Rocket is parked first?" and they just take off running. I love the looks we get when we call our super sporty, super fast car "Rocket!"
It really is sad to say good-bye to the first car Blake and I bought together, the car we had at BYU (it still had the yellow Y-pass parking sticker in the window), the car that brought us to San Francisco, the car that took us on many adventures, the car whose heater didn't work so we'd always travel with a big blanket to keep warm, the car Blake got several of tickets in, the car that carried everything from Christmas trees to a baby crib on top of it, the car whose calming vibrations put the kids to sleep, the car that fit up to 8 people (6 adults plus 2 car seats) once when we had visitors, the car with no CD player so we'd either get to listen to the radio or my awesome high school mix tapes (if you're familiar with my high school mix tapes, the Marshmallow Mix and Best of Peppiness were right at the top), the car with the license plate that had "FHE" in it, the car that Blake tried to make no eating in a rule, and the car that brought all three of our babies home from the hospital.
Nanny and Grandma sat on either side of him in the back as his head bobbled around the whole ride home.
If I remember right, Jack cried almost the entire ride home


I can't believe we could squish all three carseats in the back of the car. Poor Gus didn't stand a chance sitting in between his two brothers. On the way home Jack said Gus's seat was dirty. I asked him where and he pointed to something I couldn't see and said, "It's dirty right here--right where I wiped all my boogers."


6 comments:
some people may think it's silly to be sad and miss something like a car, but i cried and cried when my washing machine was hauled away. now THAT'S sad (and i don't mean the hauling away part:).
this is a funny post. i like it. so many good memories!
Oh man! I'm sad for you!! I remember when you two came here car shopping for that car. Maybe now you'll get a car
with a little breathing room!
I was going to say - isn't that a BYU parking pass in the front windshield? How sad! And what a shady end to it's service, too. At least no one was hurt and your boys didn't have to see it get dinged. Way to go superhero garbage man on the last time that spot was crunched.
thanks for the good laugh. the booger part was the best. i can't imagine my baby being sandwiched between 2 siblings. henry sitting next to oscar is nightmare enough.
hello minivan??
So many memories..... and so many riders! Great Blog! There were many many memories for me too. Of course, bringing the boys home from the hospital, the runners (and their supporters) all home from the marathon, the day you brought it up to the house in Bountiful to show us, and among the top memories, Grandpa and I trailing behind the U-Haul pulling the Honda on our way out to SF to starts it's (your) new adventure!
THANKS ROCKET!
Fun photo's!
Post a Comment