Tuesday, September 29, 2009

An Engagement Story

Eight years ago today, I had traveled with my boyfriend and his two sisters to Las Vegas for the BYU vs UNLV football game. We had spent the entire morning exploring fabulous Las Vegas--the hotels, the famous white tigers, and the Coca Cola Factory.
When it was time for the big game, we loaded up in the car and headed over to the stadium. After the game Blake told me we'd be meeting up with one of his mission companion's for dinner. Well, the game turned out to be intense. Very intense. In fact, it was a nail biter that came down to the last seconds. And although I'd only been dating Blake for six months, I knew that one thing he loves is a game that comes down to the last seconds. That's why I thought it was weird that he insisted on leaving to "miss all the traffic." He was crazy and I would not go. Even I wanted to see how the game turned out. (BYU won, by the way.) So, Blake settled on him going to get the car and the rest of us running out to meet him as soon as the game was over because he didn't want his companion to be waiting.

We dropped Ash and Beth off on the strip somewhere and started heading to our dinner appointment. That day was the six month anniversary of our first kiss and while we were driving, Blake was telling me something to the effect that the past six months had been the best of his life! :) And I agreed. Soon we came up on the Chapel of Love, complete with a "Say I-Do Wedding Drive Thru." I insisted that we stop and take some pictures and Blake agreed. We pulled over and walked around taking pictures.
When we got around to the front of the building, there was a wire Cinderella carriage, complete with twinkle lights. We decided to get up in and take a picture. When I climbed in there was a rose sitting on the bench. I pushed it aside and was all business, ready to have my picture taken, but Blake said, "Here," handing me the rose. Again, I put it down and got ready for my picture until he said again, "No, HERE!" I thought, "Whatever," and held the rose ready for my picture. Blake climbed up in the carriage and started to continue his "best months of my life" talk from the car. I agreed again that those were some good months and jumped out of the carriage asking Blake if he saw anyone who could take our picture. I was still trying to hurry to get to his companion's. Well, it wasn't until Blake slowly moved me back in the carriage and opened up a little box with a shiny ring, that I realized he was proposing. I really have no idea what he said, but I do remember giving him a big hug and kiss and him asking, "So, is that a yes?" to which I said, "YES!"
Little did I know when I suggested that we pull over to take pictures, I was falling right into Blake's plan. He had called ahead, several weeks before to make arrangements with the wedding chapel for the perfect proposal. The flower sitting on the bench in the carriage really was for me and the whole companion thing was just a cover. Soon after I said yes and realized everything that was going on, two ladies from the Chapel of Love came and gave us a tour of the facilities. We were happy to see that no blood test or waiting period was required for the wedding, but opted for a slightly different location...
We went back to pick up Ashley and Beth, where I did my best to flash my ring every chance I got. Beth caught on right away, but Ashley was just as slow as I was to realize what was going on. Then, we went into Caesar's Palace to call all our family and tell them the big news.
I love my engagement story. And every year, I realize more and more how perfect this story is for us. It was an uniquely perfect surprise and I can't imagine anything different from Blake. I really, really love him, backwards hat and all.

9 comments:

patty said...

you mean, ESPECIALLY the backwards hat! i love the story, too. it's perfect! and you both look exactly the same--happy anniversary.

rachel said...

i still don't understand the rush? why did blake have to leave the game so fast? in case someone came and took the rose?! and how did you just randomly happen to want to take pictures at that very place?

happy engagement. i still need to scan my old pictures...so much to get caught up on.

rachel said...

oh, and your little pictures don't get big anymore either....hmm. we need to figure that out!

blythe said...

such a cute story. i love the pictures. you both look so young.

Sarah Hawkins said...

Fun story!

Jennie said...

Hee hee! I never knew your story. Good times!

Grandma said...

He is quite the romantic! I think he is a keeper Addi! What a fun memory!

Michelle & Steve said...

I remember hearing the story for the first time and thinking that it was perfect for you. I still think it's perfect for you guys...

Mindi said...

That is a fun story.