First Day of School
For the last week I feel like I've been the mother in "I'll Love You Forever," waking up in the middle of the night, sneaking into the boys' room, and cuddling and kissing them until I just can't take it anymore. I may as well have just said the whole "I'll Love You Forever" poem to make it truly official. The reason for all this: Preschool. Goodbye to my no-schedule life of sleeping in, going to the park or museum, or just staying home all day. Goodbye to being the 100% caregiver, defender, and lover. Hello worry. Worrying that he isn't being nice, that someone else isn't being nice, that he can't open his string cheese or do up the button on his pants. Worrying that he won't understand a thing at his Spanish Immersion school. Worrying that he isn't happy. Worrying that he's getting so big that soon, he's not going to need me. Plus, I'm pregnant, so I'm already an emotional mess.
Today, the day came. We've been talking it up to Max for so long and he is just always so nonchalant about it. When he woke up and I asked him if he was excited about the first day of school, all he said was, "Sure." I think the thing he was most excited about was wearing his new backpack. He wouldn't take it off to ride in the car. 

When we first started talking about going to school, Max thought that meant he'd be going to school with Blake. It took a lot of talking and driving by his school to convince him that he wouldn't be learning to fix people's teeth. But still, all he wanted was Blake to take him to school. Last week, Blake told his professor that he'd be a little late since it was his son's first day of preschool. When I asked him what his professor said Blake told me he hurried and left before the professor could answer since he could tell by the look on his face that he didn't think preschool was a good excuse. And then, I tagged along. (Thank you Hillary for watching Jack.) I'm so glad Blake was there to do some interpreting and to be in charge of pictures. I was so focused on not crying that I didn't even think to take a picture of Max with Blake. And he did such a good job taking my picture with Max. Sorry Blake.
When we walked in the door, we were greeted by one of Max's teachers. She asked Max his name and how old he was. He answered, "Three." She said, "Ah, tres." He corrected her, "No. THREE." A great start to his bilingualness. I've been trying to teach him the numbers in Spanish, but his stubbornness just won't have it. Especially when it comes to important things, like his favorite number. Three is three! Good luck teachers! After that he marched right in to look around. He hung up his mochila and settled on a nail and elastic game and loved it.
And soon, it was time to say goodbye. He was a nice boy to give his mom a hug and a pat on the back, then went right back to the table and kept playing. As hard as it was to say goodbye, I'm so happy he loved it. And I hope he continues to love it.
About half way in to his three hour day, one of his teachers called me and asked if I was okay with them putting Max with the older class of kids. She said he was doing great. He was learning about shapes and had already made a little friend named Oliver. My heart relaxed a little and it made staring at the clock for the rest of hour and a half until it was time to pick Max up a bit more bearable. When I walked in to pick him up, they were reading books in circle time. He jumped up and ran and gave me a hug. I asked him what he did and he gave me a detailed overview of the park near the school that they went to play at--it has swings, slides, a telescope, and a clock. He had paint all over his shirt, so I asked him if they painted. All he said was yes and nothing more. From my conversation with his teacher I knew they talked about shapes, but Max claims they didn't. And I asked him if he made any new friends. He said yes. I asked their names. He said he didn't know. And that's the report on Max's first day. At least he was still smiling.
Blake had an afternoon break so we picked him up and let Max choose whatever he wanted for lunch. He chose the place where you dip sandwiches in jam. The line was too long so we got some to go. Good pick Max.
Happy first day of school, Max. I'm so happy today is over. The second day can't be nearly as hard as the first, right?

8 comments:
um, no. no day is as hard as the first. unless your child runs after you crying, begging to take him back home with you. then every day is hard. every single solitary day. but it finally stops. the wishing they were still yours and only yours, at home with you on your unscheduled schedule? that NEVER stops. ever. no matter how old and grown up they get. not even when they have their own kids. never.
oh, I wish Christian were there to go to school with Max! Looks like it was a good first day. We miss Hola and know that Max will love it tres and all. :)
blake DID do a great job on the pictures. the first baby is so hard. chloe just wanted to be like her sister, so it was easier.
and max eats lunch there? is he there all day?
hola max. necesitas practicar tu espanol, bien? y cuando nos visitas, puedes ensenar a tus primos. ellos no saben nada de espanol. hasta pronto!
max is such a big boy! he looks so handsome on his first day. i can picture him correcting the teacher with the whole spanish thing. funny.
Sounds like a success! I am so excited that when I see Max next he'll be speaking Spanish!!
i love how excited auntie rachel and uncle louie are that their precocious nephew will soon be able to converse with them fluently in spanish--i'm sure matt and vaughn feel the same way!
Way to go Max.
Post a Comment