With or Without You
Last week I found an envelope of notes from Blake when we first started dating. I especially remember this one that I found in the windshield wipers of my car along with tickets to U2's Elevation Tour in Phoenix.
So, 8 years ago today, after about a month of dating, when I probably loved U2 more than I loved Blake, I hopped on a plane and flew down to Arizona to meet (and totally impress, right guys?!) Blake's family and go to the best concert ever! Other things I remember about the short trip: Getting fried at the lake, helping Beth make the huge ball to answer Matt to prom, and everyone making fun of me for staying in my Sunday clothes after church. And the concert, oh the concert. Besides the fabulous music and performance, I remember there was something weird about the security guard (Blake took my picture with him), but I don't remember what. And I remember the people in front of us were crazy dancers. So crazy that once we got to the parking lot we set up the self-timer to impersonate their dancing.
And to this day, the song "With or Without You" reminds me of Blake. At first it was because of the concert. But then, several years ago, when the song was playing on the radio, I asked him what it reminded him of. And instead of answering the concert, he said, "Ross and Rachel." And there's yet another reason why I love Blake.

9 comments:
several things about this post: only picture i've ever seen of blake dancing (although i WISH i'd seen it when he had to onstage at the national dental convention).
i thought you drove down to hear U2--i remember you and blake and your friends in one of their cars with a utah or idaho license plate parked in the portico.
blake writes good notes.
growing up we HAD to stay in our sunday clothes all day. now i at least like the option, but probably stay in mine more than you stay in yours at this point. it's a matter of practicality, not sacrilege. but yes, everyone noticed that when you 1st visited.
that was a good present for just having dated 1 month.
mesa, what a place-a! huh, addi.
i also think of ross and rachel. and yes, you surely did get fried.
this is a cute and funny post. i remember the dancing picture. its one of my favorites from your dating days. i dont remember making fun of you for wearing your sunday clothes. we were so mean! good thing we are so nice now right!?
Ross and Rachel!!! That is sooo awesome. And you got to see U2. I haven't yet...Coldplay is also on my 'bucket list'. What a cute couple you two are!
Patty, my friends drove, I flew. Blake had already left for Mesa about a week earlier, right after finals. Then he and Steve flew back with me to start Spring term.
And I think the more appropriate statement should be, "Mesa, what a place-a! Huh, BLAKE!"
I remember your burnt bodies as we chatted about how much "FUN" you both had had, on our way home from the airport.
SCORE... BLAKE!!!
You both look so little!!! What a fun memory.
Love the dancing picture...that's priceless.
hey I remember this... hee hee how are you? Sorry we missed each other when we were down that way- hopefully :)
I still remember visiting blake at school and him wanting to go visit this gorgeous girl that he had a crush on and hanging out in your apartment! Time goes by so fast!
Post a Comment