Sunday, October 19, 2008

Nike Women's {Half} Marathon

This morning, Ashley and I woke up at 5:30 am to eat breakfast. While we were eating breakfast, we watched an episode of Friends, The One With Phoebe's Run. Then we got ready and headed down to Union Square to meet up with 20,000 other women who also woke up during the wee hours of the morning. And lucky for Blake, these fabulous girls picked us up so he didn't have to deal with getting up himself, not to mention waking up two little boys.
Union Square was packed. Packed! Ashley and I tried our best to push and squeeze our way to our pace group, but it wasn't going to happen. So we found a place where we would stop getting pushed and when it was our turn to run, we started running. We ran 6.5 miles along the most beautiful course imagineable. Can you beat Downtown San Francisco, Fisherman's Wharf, and views of the bay, Alcatraz, and Golden Gate Bridge? I really felt like those miles flew by. Then came the BIG hill, which of course was right where our biggest fans were waiting for us. But we still had smiles on our faces, so it must not have been that bad.
During the second half the race we were motivated to keep running with promises of Gatorade, oranges, cheerleaders, bananas, LUNA bars, music bands, water, and chocolate. I was only let down when I arrived at the chocolate mile and there was no chocolate. Really? Of course they would run out of chocolate. I called Blake at mile 12 to let him know how close we were only to find out they'd been in a car accident (everyone's okay, not Blake's fault) and weren't there yet. I slowed down so they would be in the stands to see me cross the finish line, but I didn't slow enough. I saw them walking towards me as I was being handed my beautiful Tiffany's necklace. Sad. But of course I still went back out over the finish line for a picture. (On a side note, the t-shirt and medallion were better than ever this year. I love them both and will probably be wearing them every day this next week so people don't wonder why I'm walking funny.)
I am so proud of myself for finally doing this. Especially since the last time I was capable of running a mile was probably in 5th grade for the Presidential Phyiscal Fitness Award. I felt like I was running with teary-eyes and a big smile on my face the entire time just thinking of the reasons people were running. And those tears and that smile were especially big thinking about my Grandpa, who died of leukemia just over a year ago. I really hope to make this a yearly tradition and maybe others will join me to do the same. You know who you are! And an extra big thank you to Ashley (or should I say "Blythe") for joining me. It really was so much more fun to have someone to point out all the crazy things along the trail to, even though she did invoke her "no talking" rule. I love you Ashley!

11 comments:

blythe said...

Yay, I've been waiting for this post! I'm so proud of you guys! I still have a goal of running one but don't know when that will happen. I love that you watched Phoebes run from Friends before you went. Way to pose for the finish line pic Addi! Now I want to see the Tiffanys necklace!

Anonymous said...

i'm so proud of you both. i knew nothing about the car accident until i read this.

Caryn said...

Wait- did I hear Tiffany's necklace? !?! I would totally run for a little blue box! That is proper incentive indeed.

Sharon said...

Awesome!! This makes me want to start running again. Just wondering how you find time to do it?

Anonymous said...

What a great accomplishment! We love you both and are sooo proud of you! Way to go!

By the way.... I'm glad that everyone in the car accident were okay, and that it wasn't Blake's fault.

Anonymous said...

oh, that's sad that they missed the finish. and what happened to the picture of you in your shirt and necklace too? now the turkey trot should be just a warm up for you! you can be one of those people that actually turns around at the finish and runs it again the opposite way.

Brendon said...

Sooo fun! Congratulations! Reading this brought back memories. It's worth all the pain (before & after the race). What's even better is that you want to make it an annual tradition. Good for you...you have more ambition than me.

I love your post below. So cute! You're going to Utah for Christmas, aren't you? I think we'll see you then! (It's getting to be Christmas count-down time)

Michelle said...

Addi, you disgust me. You look WAY too beautiful to have just crossed the finish line. Did you go home, shower and then come back to take the picture? Please tell me you did...
Oh, and a kid trade sounds GREAT.

ashley said...

fun post addi. blake did get good pictures, especially since i dont remember smiling that much while running 13 miles! oh and for the turkey trot, you can run with blythe and she will talk to you!!:)love you too!

Unknown said...

yeah I'm so proud of you- I so understand the tearful run... I was always on the verge of breaking down during the St George marathon- I'd love to do it with you next year. I wish I'd known this year- oh well :) CONGRATULATION

Anonymous said...

Way to go Addi! We are so proud of you. It does inspire us to think about next year. Who knows...