Friday, April 2, 2010

Gilroy Garlic Festival

I think it's about time for another flashback. Let me take you back to the summer of 2004 when Blake and I decided to see what all the hype was about the Gilory Garlic Festival. I'd heard fun things about it at work and we were interested to see if the garlic ice cream rumors were true. Really--could someone actually make garlic ice cream and could it really be good? So, we started the drive down. We had no idea the festival was so popular--we waited on the freeway near the Gilroy off ramp for a good hour, not moving an inch. When we finally got there, we parked in a big open field and hiked in the scorching sun over the festival. Then we were all business--first, get a drink so we wouldn't get dehydrated; second, get a picture by the gigantic garlic.
Next we headed over to the Great Garlic Cook-Off. It looked like they were making some really tasty things, but really, I only wanted the shade. It really was so, so hot.
Another highlight was the skateboard tournament. Blake loved it--but there was no shade, so I whined and complained until Blake decided to move on. We wandered around until we finally found what we were looking for--the ice cream. And when we found it we couldn't believe they were handing it out for free. FREE! And the line was so long. We thought, "This stuff must be good!" So, Blake waited in line and got us our kiddie cones. After one lick, it wasn't that bad. It mostly just tasted like vanilla. But then, the actual taste set in. So, so yucky! We found a nearby trash can filled to the brim with garlic ice cream to add our cones.
We had to cut our time at the Garlic Festival short since, apparently, Blake is allergic to dry grass. He had rashes all over his legs. Goodbye Gilroy!