Sunday, April 18, 2010

Grammy

On Sunday, April 11, Blake's Grammy passed away. She was 94 years old and had been missing her sweetheart for 12 years. Like Blythe said, she really was sweet but sassy. During one week of the 2002 Olympics, Blake and I decided to get away from the craziness and go visit Grammy in St. George. Before we left we took these pictures with Grammy. I remember Blake suggested we do something to liven up the pictures, like stick out our tongues. And that sassy Grammy was all for it.

We didn't see Grammy nearly as often as we would have liked, but when we did it sure was a treat. I loved hearing her stories and her little laugh, and the boys really loved her candy! The last time we visited her house, Blake told Max he couldn't have any more of her candy, so Max took the candy tin and hid in the kitchen eating all those lemon drops as fast as he could. Another of my favorite things about Grammy was the Christmas card she always sent. I loved seeing her scratchy writing and then reading her little note apologizing for the scratchy writing.

On Saturday, Gus and I attended her funeral in Delta. And what a sweet, happy funeral it was knowing that Grammy is finally where she wants to be--reunited with Grandpa. Four of her grandkids spoke and shared their favorite memories. I loved hearing about Grammy's mission in New Zealand and service in several temples. And I had no idea that the candy tin was Grammy's "thing" until each of the grandkids shared similar memories of eating the candy. I loved being with family and several of Blake's cousins I haven't seen in quite a while to celebrate Grammy's life.


Till we meet again sweet Grammy.

5 comments:

patty said...

sweet is the word.

Char said...

What a lovely tribute to a special lady!

blythe said...

i like reading everyones memories of grammy. good job. and i like your pictures with grammy.

oh and the SIL pic is pretty cute too.

rachel said...

that's funny that grammy stuck her tongue out for the camera. cute pictures.

gary said...

thanks Addi for the pictures and words and especially thanks for coming.