Sunday, January 31, 2010

Gus's Story

Early Saturday morning, around 3 am, I started feeling some pain. But it was a sharp pain, not like the crampy pain I remembered contractions being. So, I got up and decided to take a shower to see if it made me feel better. And if it didn't, at least I'd be clean. So after I got out of the shower and decided it was time, I woke up Blake. Blake had fallen asleep on the futon while reading. I nudged him and said, "Blake, wake up." All I got back was a long whiny moan. So, I said a little sterner, "Blake, we need to go to the hospital." This time I got a response: "Don't talk to me like that!" Ha! Silly Blake is such a fun, animated sleep-talker. So, I went in our room and started packing a bag when Blake came in and said, "Did you say we need to go to the hospital? Did I say don't talk to me like that?" So, we called sweet Hillary to come watch the boys and we were off to the hospital around 4:30.
We arrived at the hospital and after the nurse concurred that my contractions were coming pretty strongly about 4 minutes apart and I was dilated 3 cm, she announced I had won myself a ticket for admission. I made sure everyone knew I was ready for my epidural as soon as possible and was wheeled up to labor and delivery. My contractions were coming stronger and I was so proud of myself when the nurse and anesthesiologist said they could hardly tell when I was having a contraction because I was handling it so well. The only thing that gave me away was that I got a bit quieter. So, the epidrual was placed around 6:30 and it was time to rest.
Around 8, the doctor came in to check on me and said that the epidural had slowed my contractions down and that the labor wasn't progressing. So, she broke my water to see if that would help things along. Then, around 8:30 the nurse came in and gave me some pitocin to speed up the process. I was pretty out of it, but Blake didn't think the pitocin was a good idea. He started asking questions and told the nurse we weren't in a hurry to get the baby here. Basically she just told him that it was doctor's orders as she was injecting it through my IV. Well, the pitocin worked a little too well. I went from 3 cm to 10 cm in 1 hour. There had been a shift change and when the new nurse came to check on me, she said the new doctor had been called in to an emergency c-section, so she was going to take me off the pitocin and then hopefully my labor would slow down enough to wait an hour for the doctor to get there. About 10 minutes later, my room was swarmed with nurses, trying to figure out my blood pressure and Gus's heart rate. My blood pressure runs a little low anyways (The doctor asked me if I was a runner. I told him no. To which he replied, "Oh. Because sometimes athletes have a lower heart rate." I told him he didn't ask me if I was an athlete! :)) but Gus's heart rate plummeted due to the stress from the quick labor. Since the on-call OB was in surgery, the nurses found another OB in the building who came rushing in my room with a vacuum in hand ready to get Gus out. Luckily, one of the nurses stopped him and said, "Wait! This is her third baby. She can probably push him out faster than using that vacuum." So, three pushes and several nervous tears later, at 9:59 am, Gus Philip was born.
After Gus was stable, I got to hold and cuddle my sweet new baby for a minute before the nausea (a side effect from the pitocin) kept me busy for the next two hours.
So Blake and Gus got to spend some quality time together. I love that wherever Gus went, Blake was always right by his side.Gus weighed 7 pounds, 10 ounces and was 19 inches long. I already loved him so much before he was born and now I can't even describe how full my heart is. Welcome to our family sweet baby boy. Your mommy loves you so, so, so much.

13 comments:

gary said...

What a cute little guy, the parents aren't so bad either. Congrats to a wonderful family.

Melissa said...

I love your story. The picture of you with him on your chest right after delivery brought tears to my eyes. There is nothing that can describe that love. I am sorry they gave you Pitocin without your approval, without even the doctor talking with you - just through a 3rd party (the nurse). Poo. I'm glad you were able to push him out so quickly and avoid the vacuum and I'm so sorry you were sick for a couple of hours afterward from the Pitocin. He's absolutely beautiful. Congratulations, Addi and Blake, Max and Jack. Welcome, Gus!

Michelle & Steve said...

Gus's story made me a little weepy. Birth stories are the best, and I am just so happy that everything worked out well and you have such a healthy baby boy. I can't wait to talk to you, so I'll call you sometime soon.

nanny said...

so, so beautiful.

rachel said...

i take it you won't be getting pitocin next time. i would have to agree. and i can't believe you are smiling in that picture going to the hospital. louie asked me if i wanted a picture before we left and i screamed NO! at him. too much pain! we heart gus.

Grandma said...

GRATEFUL you are both doing well, and that you have a husband that cares so much! What a beautiful new baby! Gus fits right in with the rest of you!

LOVED the photos! Thanks for taking the time Blake, so we all could share in the experience!

WHAT A MIRACLE!!!

blythe said...

i didnt realize the pitocin is what makes you throwup. interesting. i love this story. gus is so sweet. please keep him little til you visit me!

Andy and Bri said...

We can't wait to meet the big guy!!! Congrats!

christina said...

your story made me cry. i'm so glad Gus is here and i'm so glad you both made it through ok. i think my labor with Charlotte is still a little too vivid, because your story made me feel really anxious. can't wait to see you and to meet baby Gus!

Cindy said...

Well, I'm on the list for weepy women! So happy all turned out well. Babies bring a little bit of heaven with them...so happy Gus is here! Sending love.

natalie said...

So cute! Congratulations!

Life Is Golden said...

Your story made me cry too!
You look so perfectly adorable in all the pictures... do I need to talk to you about proper etiquette when it comes to having a baby and NOT looking perfectly adorable?
I love how protective Blake was... what a good guy and and a great orthodontist ta boot! Ha!
I'm kind of sort of totally anxiously awaiting more pictures of Gus.

Lindsay said...

Congratulations you guys! He is beautiful:)