Friday, May 2, 2008

My Terrible Two Year Old

Okay, I can't decide if Max is really terrible, testing his boundaries and my patience at every turn, or if he just has an extreme case of OCD. For example, to put on his shoes, I have to be sitting on an exact spot on the stair by the door, give him the socks and shoes, then he gives them back to me one at a time and tells me which foot to put them on. And the fun part of this is that he pretends to hide each sock and shoe and then I have to say, "Where is Max's sock?" And he HAS to say, "Where'd it go?" Then I say, "I don't know." Then he says, "Here it is!" The exact dialogue every single time. So much fun! Also, Max has become quite obsessed with locking and unlocking doors. He throws a tantrum if he doesn't get to unlock the doors coming into the house and with so much practice is actually quite good at picking the right key, putting it in and twisting it. Too bad after he opens the door he likes to slam it in my face then tells me to knock so he can say, "Who is it?" And his lock obsession is not just with the house, but with the car as well. He is quite the gentleman and always unlocks the passenger side door then opens it and says, "Here ya go, Mommy." Too bad the rest of the routine is then opening his door, climbing in, climbing up to the driver's seat, putting the keys in the ignition, locking the doors and climbing back into his seat. I really have to be aware of what's going on or I could get locked out of the car, which actually happened the other day. Luckily that time Max actually turned the keys in the ignition so he was able to roll down a window and ask me what I was saying since he didn't get "UNLOCK THE DOORS!" I know, I know what you're thinking. Who's in charge here? But I'm a run-down mom who is carefully choosing her battles. One of my favorites though is when Max bosses me around. While we were at Barnes and Noble tonight I asked him if he wanted to pick a different book to read. He answered yes, then sternly said to me, "Be patient Mommy. Need to clean up. Be patient!" And I can't even count the number of times he's told me to sit in timeout.

But amidst my complaints, I have to say, I never could have dreamed Max would be such a good brother. He is nothing but a total angel to Baby Jack and takes very good care of him. I love it when he tells Jack, "One minute Baby Jack. Mommy coming. It's okay Jack. Mommy be here in one minute." Or when I find him reading a book to Jack or letting Jack pull his hair. I am one lucky mom, loving every minute with my two-year old.

I know this next video isn't very long, but you have to realize that he started doing this, I noticed he was doing it, watched him for a while, thought--WOW, I can't believe he doesn't see me, then thought--man, he just keeps going, I should get the camera--no, by the time I get the camera, he'll have stopped. But he just keeps going. I'm going to get the camera. Then, I actually got the camera and videoed. I should have jumped into action more quickly.

And I just love this video. Max loves to count the numbers on the microwave. I know he's standing a little close for radiation purposes, but it was for the sake of the video. I usually don't let him stand so close. Anyway, Blake already told me that I'm the only one who thinks this is funny, but I don't care. I'm going to watch it over and over and laugh my head off.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh.... you are such a good Mom! Those boys are so lucky! I must admit, I laughed with you! I loved Jack's laughing, Max's caring & his counting and the crash. Don't worry, if you think Max is acting like he is two.... it is okay, he is!

blythe said...

I don't know what Blake was thinking! That was so funny! I have to go watch it again! Max is such a nice brother. What cute videos!

blythe said...

and I think Max's OCD with the shoes and socks is pretty funny too! I wish I could be a fly on the wall every day for that!

Sheri said...

You are such a good mom and have the cutest boys. If you havent read Parenting with Love and Logic for preschoolers...you should. I thinks its the ONLY way to deal with a toddler.

Anonymous said...

nanny is laughing her head off, too. blake just isn't as easily entertained as we are. we ALL know THAT:)

Geri/Cindy said...

Love the videos! We agree you are a great mom (but then we've always said that). Jack could not ask for a better big brother. What a sweetheart. Also, I know where to get help if the OCD persists.

Anonymous said...

all i have to say to you addi is buy the kid some flip flops and get rid of the socks and shoes! that might mean you need to move to az though. i think that would drive me crazy...you must have more patience than I do. i love the video of jack giggling.

Melissa said...

Addi, I don't know if this is any comfort to you but my 3 year-old Blake is almost an exact clone of Max, it seems. You're post brought me so much comfort. Our Blake has to unlock the front door and the car. He LOVES watching the numbers count down on the microwave and learned how to count backwards by doing it. In fact, he wanted to watch the video of Max watching the microwave over and over again. After 4 times, with Blake and Grace in giggle fits every time they watched it, they still said, "Again!" Also when Robbie comes home from work, every day without fail, the first thing Blake says to him is, "Dad, can we wrestle and tickle and do school and play checkers?" This is their nighttime routine if we have time for it all and asking for it is the way Blake greets Robbie every evening when he comes home. Robbie and I have actually really been searching for answers this past week or two about how to kindly respond to Blake's exact repeating of himself on daily things so your post - though we don't have all the answers yet, brought a lot of comfort knowing that another mom (who is a fabulous mom, by the way) is looking for answers too. I wholeheartedly believe it is not OCD for either one of our boys but is a familiarity thing - just like when they were 18 months old and wanted to read the exact same book 100 times per day. After I found out from a parenting article that that was normal, I was happy to know he was being a happy attached toddler. Love you, babe! It's fun to hear your voice on the video since it's been since our college days!!! You're a great mom. Love, Melissa

Melissa said...

PS - When our Blake was Max's age he asked every single time we were going somewhere for about six months if he had put his sandals on the right foot. "Is this the right foot?" he would say? "You know how to do it, bud!" we'd say. "You did it right." Good luck, Addi and let's keep sharing our adventures - if you learn any secrets let me know!