Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day!

I felt really sad I couldn't go visit graves with my family this year. When I was young, I always asked to go with Grandpa, Grandma, and Dawna on the long drive to Tooele (maybe it's because we always stopped and got orange ice cream at McDonalds, why don't they have that anymore?) and loved going to the graves and then having Grandma give us a little tour of her town. I want to be able to do that with my little family. Even though we don't have anyone specific to visit here, San Francisco always has something to offer. This morning, we went over to the Presidio's National Cemetery for their Memorial Day ceremonies. First they had a small parade of soldiers dressed in period costumes, old cars (Max liked the green car best), fire engines, and horses (that I can't believe Max dared to touch). Volunteers were handing out flags that we waved and waved and waved while the paraders were marching.

Next on the program was the formal ceremony which included an Army band, a 21-gun salute (apparently they're pretty rare), a reading of the Gettysburg Address, and a tribute to the soldiers who fought in WWI. Did you know that there are only two veterans of WWI alive today? Interesting. The ceremony went a little long for our two kids, but the band's numbers and all the sitting and standing were perfectly placed for Max to wave his flag and get some energy out. And if nothing else, Max learned that the flag is very special and we do not throw it on the ground or put in our mouths. Hey, it's a start. It was the perfect Memorial Day. Being around these military families makes the sacrifice people are making so real. This will definitely be our family's tradition.


My favorite part of the day was when the band played the military medley and the soldiers were asked to stand when their division's song was played. I always get a little teary eyed watching the soldiers and family of soldiers stand so proudly. This year I was lucky that Jack started to get restless so I could walk around and spare the people sitting by us from Max's questions about the water coming out of my eyes. I guess the song reminds me of the last choir concert during my sophomore year of high school. All the choirs sang the same medley as they played today and asked the soldiers to stand. I have a very vivid memory of my grandpa standing. I don't know much about my grandpa's experience in the Army during the Korean War (when I was young he did tell me the big dimple in his chin was where he got hit by a bullet), but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the ten humongous binders full of love letters written between him and my grandma during that time. They are beautiful and I really hope Grandma decides to bequeath them to me (hint, hint). I am a proud granddaughter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are SPECIAL, addi!

Anonymous said...

We are blessed with a great family and a great country! I think we all have memories of memorial days. This year, especially of Grandpa Max! I'm sure your little family will love this and all holidays, just like you do! No time like the present to teach Max to respect the flag!

Michelle & Steve said...

I knew you were going to say something about learning those military songs in choir. This is a perfect tradition for your family...you will always be able to sing along with the songs and tell your kids about the good 'ole days at BHS!

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention that blake and max were on the front page of the local paper. they're famous!

ashley said...

i wish i couldve been there to celebrate memorial day with you! how special. and i love how you can even see the golden gate bridge in the first picture.

blythe said...

your grandpa was very handsome! what a fun memorial day tradition!

Geri/Cindy said...

Grandpa Max would be very proud that you are carrying on the tradition. He was very proud of his country.