Grandma's China
Yesterday, after riding the trains, we drove up to visit Grandpa where I was presented with a very special gift--Grandma's china. I am in love with it. It is circled with pretty pink roses, which I think is why Grandma wanted me to have it--PINK! And to go along with this gift Grandpa told us about them getting the china. I'm pretty upset at myself for not videoing Grandpa tell this story, but maybe another visit? Until then, here is what I remember--After Grandma and Grandpa were married in the Logan temple, they dined on a chicken dinner at a relative's house, then took off on their honeymoon. They thought it would be fun to stay the night in Ogden at the Ben Lomond Hotel, but it was way out of their price range. So, instead they stayed at the Ogden Hotel for $2/night. After that they spent the next few days in Gunnison, Utah at Grandpa's brother's house. On their way back home, they stopped by the Smithfield Implement (where the motto is something like "We just received a truck load of whatever you're looking for.") and Grandma bought her beautiful china set for $29.95. Grandma had saved up money before she was married by working at a clothes cleaner/tailor 6 days a week and then later at JCPenney. She earned $10/week and was the sole provider for her parents and siblings(she bought them a $1,000 house and paid the $21/month mortgage) in addition to saving the extra money for this china. We think the original set had 8 place settings and since then she had added 6 more dinner plates and several salad and dessert plates. I feel truly honored to have these and I can't wait to use them.
We love spending the afternoon with Grandpa. We snacked on watermelon, made a whirligig from a button Max found in the backyard, watched Jack get Grandpa's cane "stuck" on the tether ball pole, and ate dinner at Kirt's. I have a fun Grandpa!

7 comments:
What a great picture! What a wonderful Grandpa! I love seeing your boys grow up...they do it so fast.
you must be the favorite grandchild addi! such a cute story. and a cute grandpa!
i love the man picture. love it. and it's obvious how special you are to every single person in your family. i used to think it would be horrible to be the only girl! guess it depends on the girl. . .
Grandpa B is the best! Nothing beats going to grandpa's for a climb in the cherry tree and some dinner at Kirt's! Did anyone get an ice cream sundae in a mini baseball helmet? Those are the tastiest.
so cute! You'll treasure that china forever :)
OH, how blessed we all are because of our family! Gotta love them ALL!
Grandma always did want you to have her china. Was is because you were named after Grandma Addie, because you loved pink, because she loved making you an eighth birthday dress like your doll Samantha's, because you were the only daughter of her youngest son, or just because she loved you! If you chose any or ALL of the above, I think you'd be right!
OH, how blessed we all are because of our family! Gotta love them ALL!
Grandma always did want you to have her china. Was is because you were named after Grandma Addie, because you loved pink, because she loved making you an eighth birthday dress like your doll Samantha's, because you were the only daughter of her youngest son, or just because she loved you! If you chose any or ALL of the above, I think you'd be right!
Post a Comment