Thursday, February 4, 2010

And we named him Gus...

Many people have asked us how we chose the name Gus. So, I thought I'd set the record straight. No, no--it's not from the movie Cinderella, and yes, we were aware that the two mice on Cinderella are named Jack and Gus. But we really, really like those two names. I can't help it if Walt Disney did, too. So a big sorry to Jack and Gus who I know will be getting Cinderella comments for a long, long time.

I actually added the name Gus to my list when I was newly pregnant with Max. I remember vividly realizing I liked it on a night Blake was out of town and I was sitting at home watching a movie (not Cinderella) with a Gus as the main character. Blake, however, was not so quick to like it. And actually, it wasn't until we were trying to decide on a name for Jack that Blake changed his mind and the name Gus really became a front-runner. So when we found out we were having a third boy, it was our first pick and I really, really love it. Plus, I think it fits this little man perfectly.

Gus's middle name is for my Grandpa Phil. When we found out it was a boy, I knew that's what I wanted his middle name to be. I did waver once when Blake was asking me about "Gus Philip" and I thought he was asking if our car needed a "gas fill-up" but I quickly realized there is no other name I would want to give this sweet little baby. Grandpa Phil is so special to me and also to Blake, Max, and Jack and I know he'll be special to Gus as well. I love that Gus will be able to tell everyone that he is named after his great grandfather who tells the best stories, has the best trees to climb, makes the best Saturday malts, and is one of the sweetest, most loving men ever to live on this earth.

And there you have it--Gus Philip. And no, Gus is not short for anything, and yes, Philip is spelled with one "l". :)

8 comments:

nanny said...

love the first picture. love the name. love the baby.

Grandma said...

So.... what was the movie?

We LOVE the name GUS PHILIP!

And.... it fits!

blythe said...

what a sweet boy. i think gus fits him perfectly.

Rocia said...

what a good looking little gus gus, congrats!

Stephanie said...

Oh, I love reading your blog!! Gus is adorable. I loved reading about your delivery. Your family is too cute.

Christine said...

ok i love it! Gus is so cute. i never in a million years would have put jack and gus together from cinderella but you're right! that is funny...i love that show. but anywya...well today is your birthday and i just realized that you were probably expected soon so i went to check your blog and wow! i was shocked you'd already had the little critter 2 months ago! I can't belive it. i guess thats what i get for dropping out on the blogging world. i am so happy for you and happy that gus made it safe even with your pitocen woes...i just hvae loved reading up on all of this and its so fun. i miss you addi...you are too funny and cute and i promise the enxt time i come down to san fran i am calling you!!! I cant believe you are a mother of 3 boys!! crazy! i admire you! well i hope you have a great birthday today and do something fun! love you
christine idiart

Kera said...

patrick's dad is named Philip with 1 L. there is a strong chance if we ever have a boy, that he will have philip in there somewhere.

Jamie said...

So, it's official...you make beautiful boys. He is absolutely gorgeous Addi! And let's just talk about his mom for a minute, who are you? You look ridiculously good. I shouldn't be surprised since you look incredible nine months pregnant, too.

Congratulations to your sweet family.