Sunday, May 10, 2009

To Our Mothers

During my teenage years, for four years straight, I was asked to speak in church on Mother's Day. Believe me, this is no tribute to my speaking ability, but to the kind of mother my mom is. My mom was always there to back us kids up. In fact, we constantly boasted, "Our mom can beat up your mom!" And it is so true. Have you seen my mom's guns? :) She has taught me the value of meaningful service, compassion and fun. Even the old man who lives across the street from us in San Francisco, who people watches all day long, commented to me that he could tell I must have an amazing mother. And it's true, I do.
I love this picture of Blake and his mom. It was taken the night before Blake and I were married and I always loved how adoringly she is looking at Blake. Over the years I have learned how incredibly true that is. Patty absolutely adores all her children. And she lets them know every day. And sometimes two or three times a day. Blake once told me that he decided the only reason he ever thought he was smart is because his mom always told him he was. What a compliment to a mother who is constantly encouraging, counseling, and loving her children. Her hard work has definitely paid off.

So, dear mothers, have a happy day! We love you and are so grateful for you in our lives.

6 comments:

blythe said...

cute post. i think i would make myself sick just so i wouldnt have to speak in church for the 4th year in a row!

patty said...

i love/hate this post. i want to do it all over again. i want my 7 precious babies back to enjoy every single day again. i want to be what posts like this say. i DO, however, adore my children and they really ARE the smartest, most beautiful, most talents, funniest, wittiest, kindest, most thoughtful and perfect children in the universe. ever.

Michelle & Steve said...

Happy Mother's Day! I love this post. I don't know Blake's mom very well, but knowing him, I'm sure all you wrote is true - he was raised by a good mother. I do however know your mom, and I know everything you wrote is true...and let me add one more...your mom makes a great surrogate mother to everyone around her. I love that lady!!

Geri/Cindy said...

What a great Mother's Day post. I think the testament is you and what a great mother you are. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, ADDI. By the way, where is the picture of Jack and his first haircut? Can't wait to see that little guy with a buzz.

Grandma said...

You are to kind Addi! As much as I LOVED raising my children (and it was the best) .... the reward of motherhood for me is watching what incredibly wonderful, caring, loving, intelligent, hard working, happy, individuals you all are! I LOVE EACH of you with ALL I've got! Since this is your blog Addi, I often stand in amazement of the GREAT Mother you are! How blessed my grandsons are because of you! Thanks to you! Thanks too to Blake's mom! Patty raised a most wonderful son! He is all the things she said, and more! Motherhood is the best for me, especially with my kids!!

Thanks Michelle, I always loved having you guys around! Those were great days in our lives!

Cindy said...

OH!!! Way to make my eyes tear up!