Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jack's Book Club

Jack is finally a little reader. He loves reading books. He used to not be very interested and we usually ended up just letting him roam around the house after giving up on forcing him to sit and read. However, to find him sitting, reading peacefully to himself like this picture is a very rare occasion. The book must have been sitting close to the chair and it just happened that when his bottom fell down it landed in the chair. Only a handful of times have I seen him read a book by himself. He needs someone to read to him. Usually, Jack grabs one book from the shelf and walks to either me or Blake, backing up into us as he gets closer. When he's done with the book, he'll get off my lap, hand me the book, then go get another. It's nice to have a reader. Here are Jack's favorites--

This book is his hands-down favorite. No other book even comes close. All it is is pictures of animals and the name of the animal. He just loves animals. It's fun when he gets to a page of an animal he knows the sound and makes the sound before we can say anything. He really loves any animal book.



After his Baby Animals book, it's hard to decide what his other favorites are. He always picks different books, but these next two are the ones I'd say he picks more often and gets more excited about.

What is it about Goodnight Moon? Seriously. Like Max, I think the initial draw is the change between black and white and color pages, but what keeps them coming back? I thought Jack would like the balloon, but I think it's the kittens that keep him more interested. Since we lost the board book version with Max, we've since replaced it and lost it again with Jack. Luckily our paperback, with its pages ripped in half, doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

It's the food that draws Jack to the caterpillar book. Definitely the food. And being able to stick his finger through each hole in the food as I try to read fast enough to keep up with his finger. I love this book and I'm glad there's someone in the family who likes it as much as me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the picture

blythe said...

jack is so sweet.

Heidi said...

{My} Max loves Goodnight Moon too. He always points at the fireplace, maybe he is a pyro! Anyway, it's fun to have babes that love books!

Anonymous said...

No wonder your boys are soooo smart!
Keep reading little guys!