Turkey Day
Did you know that this was my first Thanksgiving ever in Mesa, AZ! Sure, sure--there was that one year we had Thanksgiving in Mexico, but this was my first time having a turkey dinner, on Thanksgiving day, in Mesa, What a Place-a! (Is that correct usage of place-a? I thought that since this was my first Thanksgiving in Mesa I would also take the plunge and say "place-a" for the first time. Blake, stop rolling your eyes.) So, to keep up with all the Mesa Thanksgiving traditions, Jack and I woke up super early and ran the Turkey Trot with all willing and able family members. Grandpa bailed me out and pushed Jack until that stinker wanted out of the stroller and I ended up carrying him the last half of a mile.
Thanksgiving dinner was oh so good and oh so beautiful. Everything at Nanny's table was perfect, down to the little pilgrim and indian salt shakers and napkins that matched my Hooter Hider. I even had a big scoop of cranberry sauce all by itself. Yum. And did I mention the pie? Oh the pie! I stuck with Ashley on the berry pie and it did not disappoint.
On Friday Nanny and Grandpa had a little birthday party for Max. We really have been timing our visits perfectly with the boys' birthdays. And this little party was perfect for Max. There was just enough attention on him, but not too much to make him not go through with the festivities. He spit all over the cake while blowing out the candles and thus left a lot of cake to be eaten by the other little people who didn't care about a little spit. He loves his Thomas computer from Nanny and Grandpa and plays with it so much that my head starts ringing every time I hear that Thomas song start playing.
Other Thanksgiving weekend activities included finally seeing Twilight (2 thumbs WAY up), reading Blake's 2nd grade creative writing book, and a lot of golfcart rides with Grandpa.
Max continued his Aladdin obsession and watched the original movie several times with anyone who would watch with him. Actually one time when I peeked in on him, Max was dead asleep and it was Grandpa who was tapping his toes, singing along to, "You Ain't Never Had a Friend Like Me." But Max actually took his obsession a step further by insisting on always using the "Jasmine" sippy cup. Daddy Blake will be so proud. And I'm pretty sure I say this every time, but the best part about the whole weekend was the cousin time. Dancing, hide-and-seeking, and jumping on big piles of pillows seems to be much more fun with cousins. We are so thankful to be a part of this wonderful family.

3 comments:
such a good post addi. nice usage on mesa-what a place-a! the last pic looks very pretty with your creative touch. i think i want to see twilight again. wish we lived closer!
oh, it WAS a great weekend! thanks for the reminder! i can't believe i never realized it was your first mesa thanksgiving. didn't disappoint, now did it?! thank you so much for coming, even with blake in ethiopia. what other daughter-in-law would EVER do that?
it took me a while to figure out how in the world this was your 1st thanksgiving in mesa since being married 6 years ago? that's crazy. i like the golf cart pics. and you ARE fancy with that last one.
Post a Comment