Our Church History Vacation
I can't believe this vacation is over and how much we did. We logged about 2,000 miles on our 12-passenger van (hey, luggage for 8 people takes up a lot of space, especially when one of those people is a Max) in 8 days. And I'm pretty sure we saw every historical marker, grave site, and tourist attraction Independence area and Nauvoo have to offer. Here are some highlights--
Day 1: Liberty Jail--after we all arrived, our first stop was Liberty Jail. The presentations and tours were wonderful and we got our first glimpse of what this trip would be like with Max. We each took a turn running around outside and walking up and down and up and down and up and down the steps with him while the others did part of the tour. Tony took most of this shift since he claims he has seen Liberty Jail dozens of times. I didn't know that there was a building actually built around the jail to preserve the original structure. And I loved learning all the little details and interesting stories that surrounded each circumstance. Seeing the tiny, dark, cold place that the prophet was kept for about four months added so much to the importance and relevance of the revelations received here. Afterwards Tony took us through the back roads of Missouri. We saw the graves of David Whitmer, Oliver Cowdery, Hiram Page, Martin Harris, and many other people. After all that driving and looking we refreshed ourselves with some authentic Missourian BBQ! YUMMY! While we were there we saw a member who invited us over to play pool after we were done eating. I don't remember what the game all the boys played was called, but I do remember that my husband was the champion! I am such a proud wife. Day 2: Independence Visitor's Center--The Visitor's Center in Independence is the only one not by a temple. Kind of cool. We took lots of tours and learned about the history of Indepence. Max, again, spent a lot of time running around outside. I think all the Sisters there want to date Tony when they come home. When the rest of us were ready to leave they just kept talking and talking and talking to him. Those silly Sisters! We did a walking tour of Independence and saw a lot of parking lots that used to be something. We ended the night with some pizza in our hotel room, watching the Suns lose to the Spurs. It's official--our brackets really stunk this year.
Day 3: Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum--While the rest of the family drove to Wichita to take our missionary-neighbor to lunch, Blake, Max, and I decided to go to the Harry S. Truman museum. WOW! You could spend forever in that place. And there was a park right across the street and Wendy's was within walking distance, so Max was in heaven as well. They even have a 45-minute movie about Harry that Max and I watched (slept through) 3 times. We now know everything there is to know about our 33rd President.
Day 4: Far West, Adam-ondi-Ahman, and Haun's Mill--After going to church in Excelsior Springs and having Tony called out of the congregation to bear his testimony, we finished the Missouri highlights. Even though there weren't any buildings at these places we could really feel a special spirit. I would love it, though, if they built a representation of Haun's Mill. In some of the stuff Tony had left out there, we found a football, so all that open area was much appreciated. Even Max participated in the scrimages. After all that touring we had to say goodbye to Blake. Man, it stinks to have to go to work.
Day 5: Carthage Jail--After our 5 hour drive up to Illinois and some Baby Einstein in the car, we decided to first stop in Carthage before going to Nauvoo. Amazing. I can't believe the original door, with the original bullet hole is still there. I could tell this was a special place because Max was so good as we went through the jail. He sat quiet the entire (almost) time. It's amazing how the spirit can touch everyone. After the jail, we drove to Nauvoo, ate a tastey family-style dinner, and swam in the pool. Max slept very soundly that night!
Day 6: Nauvoo--WOW! We had no idea we could spend an entire week just in Nauvoo. We started out in the Visitor's Center, looking at the exhibits, and watching some short movies. Then we took a carriage ride, then a wagon ride learning about the people and place of Nauvoo. And, geez, where from there? The bakery. The family living center, where we learned to make cloth, bread, candles, rugs, ropes (I got to keep the rope we made--I played an integral part in the process!), and barrels. Pioneer games, where we could have spent an entire day. The gun shop. The brick yard. And of course, the beautiful temple. That night we went to a musical performed by the couple missionaries in Nauvoo. I loved it. I just kept thinking of my dad or Blake, standing up there in the men's kick line. I really hope Blake and I go to Nauvoo on a mission. I would love to be in the musical, and I would LOVE to watch Blake in the musical.
Day 7: Kansas City Royals Baseball Game--After hitting some gift shops, we hit the the road back to Missouri to catch the Kansas City vs. Cleveland baseball game. The stadium was so much fun (but not as much fun as PacBell, or SBC, or AT&T or whatever the name of the park is now). There was even a little park for Max to play at. So, he spent most of the game down there. The first few innings were very exciting--lots of homeruns and scoring. The Royals won and the game was a perfect ending to our vacation.
Everyone came home still friends, chigger and tic-less, and very sleepy, so the trip must have been a success! Thank you family for an unforgettable week! We love you!

12 comments:
What a fun trip! That is so cool that Tony could take you there and show you some of the memories from his mission. I would love to take that trip someday. SO GLAD YOU ARE HOME! :)
What a great vacation. Everyone should be so lucky to get to go. We are so glad that we were able to spend the time and the experiences together.Max was a real trooper! Addi was really good with him! We sure missed Blake when he had to be responsible and come back to work.... got to hate that! But, we were glad we were able to spend as much time all together as we did! Thanks so much for sharing the trip with us. Oh ya, everyone should hear about Max & Ela! Could it be his first love?
Wow! Are you exhausted!? What an experience! You are so lucky!
sheri
Sounds like a busy, busy trip. I am waiting to take a trip like that someday. You would be the perfect tour guide now! Very cute pictures.
That's such a fun trip! It looks like you got to see everything. How lucky to have such a great tour guide! We're glad you're back.
Addi, thanks for your posts. You are really making me excited for our trip to Nauvoo we are taking in two weeks. There is so much to see and do, and I can't wait to go now. So glad you guys had a great time and are home safely.
wow, you did lots. and you dont look pregnant nerd. are your shirts maternity? i love them. esp the brown stripped one. whatever blake doesnt let you go shopping!
addi, i've never seen your hair pulled straight back in a ponytail. usually it's parted on the side first. it looks cute. and i am very impressed with the variety of pictures.
Sounds like a fun trip! I have always wanted to take a trip back there! Maybe in about 10 years!!! We are excited to see you guys in a few weeks!
What a great trip! I visited the Nauvoo sights when I was 16, but would love to go back (the new temple was not built yet!).
how sad--gage could've met you in nauvoo and met max if you had called him!
i'm excited to do nauvoo again in 47 days, just like the 3 of us did when gage graduated. who knew then that it was a preview of his mission?! sounds like you took advantage and saw everything you could--everything except elder robison!
Just one correction. On day one I don't think we saw the grave of Martin Harris as he is buried in Clarkston, Utah. That would have been quite a drive. Althought the graves did start looking a lot alike after a while.
Post a Comment