Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

This year I had a spectacular Valentine's Day with all three of my Valentines. (Yes, this is the best picture I could get of the youngest two.) We dressed up in red and decided to have a San Francisco first. After living in this beautiful city for five years, we finally rode a cable car. We got on at the bottom of California and rode it all the way to Van Ness and back. Max loved riding on the cable car and couldn't believe he could ride without being buckled in. He did get really nervous every time Blake stood up and would say, "Daddy, SIT DOWN!" and point at the seat right next to him over and over. But my favorite was when we got up to Powell where another line of cable cars run. At that intersection we passed three other cable cars and Max kept saying, "Nother one. Nother one. Nother one." Too cute. He was so intense watching everything around him, trying to figure out how everything worked. He would just stare at the bell ringing. So when we got to the end of the line the driver let him ring the bell. He really is an official San Franciscan. Little Jack was the perfect angel and was a hit with the other passengers. One lady who sat by us couldn't keep her hands off Jack and kept congratulating Blake on having two boys.We made it back downtown just in time to see thousands, and I mean THOUSANDS, of people running around carrying their pillow. Apparently, every year on Valentine's there is a huge pillow fight and we were lucky enough to make it this year. I can't even describe how crazy it is. There are feathers flying everywhere. I tried to steer clear so Jack wouldn't get whacked, but Blake and Max got in on all the action. We even borrowed some pillows to take a picture. We look feisty, I know.
We finished off the night with a yummy dinner at Chevy's. A perfect Valentine's.

Earlier in the month Max helped me make hearts to decorate the bedroom doors. On it we wrote why we loved each person. Blake was the easiest. Max loves his Daddy because he rides the bus, goes to work, and takes Max on the elevator. Max loves Jack because he is funny and poops in his diaper. I thought those were good reasons. Max said the reason we love him is because he's a big boy. I'd add "most of the time." And Max loves me because I make dinner. I take that as meaning I sustain the lives of my boys--pretty important. I heart my family.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

a supremely HEART-warming post.

Sarah Hawkins said...

A city-wide pillow fight! WOW! You guys are so fun!

Anonymous said...

what a random city. a huge pillow fight? that's so odd. nice that you borrowed pillows for the picture though. and i can't believe you'd never been on the cable cars til now! that's my favorite part of SF. and me the little blogger lately? look at you, every 2 days.

blythe said...

The pillow fight looks cool. I can't believe how many people actually go to it. And yes, you guys do look pretty feisty! Sounds like a fun valentines day!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you finally went on that cable car ride! And.... of course everyone loved the boys! Who doesn't? You guys ALWAYS find (or run into) so many fun things! What a great, happy, loving family! Max does know all about love! I'm sure loving those photo's!
Hearts to all of you!

Michelle said...

I'm glad Max liked the cable cars better than Audrey. We lasted about 5 blocks. Ummmm, I put "pillow fight" on my calendar for next years Valentines Day. Can't wait. Oh, and I totally agree with you that Max understands your important role of sustaining life for your family. What a smart boy.

ashley said...

wow, never heard of the valentine's day pillow fight before, sounds entertaining. i'm glad you were all able to finally ride the cable cars. now i need to! maybe in april....

mattnbeth said...

looks like i will have to visit next valentines day! :) i would love the pillow fight. i love your red outfits!